LEMON AND HEALTH
Jan 17 - 23, 2011
The value of eating lemons is reported by Jethro Kloss in his book Back to Eden:
"The medicinal value of the lemon is as follows: It is an antiseptic, or an agent that prevents sepsis (the presence of pathogenic bacteria) or putrefaction (decomposition of tissue). It is also anti-scorbutic, a term meaning a remedy which will prevent disease and assist in cleansing the system of impurities.
Warm lemon water serves as the perfect good morning drink, as it aids the digestive system and makes the process of eliminating the waste products from the body easier. Due to the digestive qualities of lemon juice, symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, bloating and belching are relieved. By drinking lemon juice regularly, the bowels are aided in eliminating waste more efficiently thus controlling constipation and diarrhea.
"The lemon is a wonderful stimulant to the liver and is a dissolvent of uric acid and other poisons, liquefies the bile, and is very good in cases of malaria. Sufferers of chronic rheumatism and gout will benefit by taking lemon juice, also those who have a tendency to bleed, uterine hemorrhages, etc., rickets and tuberculosis. In pregnancy, it will help to build bone in the child.
We find that the lemon contains certain elements, which will go to build up a healthy system and keep that system healthy and well. The lemon contains potassium 48.3, calcium 29.9, phosphorus 11.1, magnesium 4.4. As a food, owing to its potassium content, it will nourish the brain and nerve cells. Its calcium builds up the bony structure and makes healthy teeth. Its magnesium, in conjunction with calcium, has an important part to play in the formation of albumen in the blood. Lemons are useful in treating asthma, biliousness, colds, coughs, sore throat, diphtheria, la grippe (flu or influenza), heartburn, liver complaint, scurvy, fevers, and rheumatism.
The energy you get from your food comes from the atoms and molecules of energy in your food. A reaction takes place as cationic food enters the digestive tract and encounters anionic digestive enzymes. To explain further, an ion is part of a molecule con-atom or a group of atoms that carry an electrical charge. Ions, which carry positive charges, are "anions." Lemons are considered to be anionic, having more anions (negatively charged ions) of energy as compared to cations (positively charged ions) in their atomic structure. Saliva, hydrochloric acid, bile and the stomach's other digestive juices are also anionic. Lemon is one of the only foods on the planet that has more anions than cations in its atomic structure.
A FEW MORE WONDERFUL BENEFITS OF PUTTING LEMONS IN YOUR WATER
* lemon juice cleans your mouth
* it controls excessive bile flow
* it dislodges phlegm
* it aides in the digestive process - heartburn and bloating
* lemon water helps alleviate constipation
* it helps prevent vomiting
* and it helps with throat issues
* cleanses the liver and kidneys
* and even works as a natural skin cleanser
Lemon is an inexpensive, easily available citrus fruit, popular for its culinary and medicinal uses. It is used to prepare a variety of food recipes such as lemon cakes, lemon chicken, and beverages like lemonade and lemon-flavored drinks. It is also used for garnishing. Lemon juice consists of about 5 per cent citric acid that gives a tarty taste to lemon. Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C. It also contains vitamins like vitamin B, riboflavin and minerals like calcium, phosphorus, magnesium as well as proteins and carbohydrates. Lemon is generally consumed in the form of lemon juice or lemon water. Lemon water makes a healthy drink, especially when taken in the morning. Daily consumption of lemon water provides a number of health benefits like:
1 - GOOD FOR STOMACH
Lemon can help relieve many digestion problems when mixed with hot water. These include nausea, heartburn, and parasites. Due to the digestive qualities of lemon juice, symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, bloating and belching are relieved. By drinking lemon juice regularly, the bowels are aided in eliminating waste more efficiently. Lemon acts as a blood purifier and as a cleansing agent. The intake of lemon juice can cure constipation. It is even known to help relieve hiccups when consumed as a juice. Lemon juice acts as a liver tonic and helps you digest your food by helping your liver produce more bile. It decreases the amount of phlegm produced by your body. It is also thought to help dissolve gallstones.
2 - EXCELLENT FOR SKIN CARE
Lemon, being a natural antiseptic medicine, can participate to cure problems related to skin. Lemon is a vitamin C rich citrus fruit that enhances your beauty, by rejuvenating skin from within and thus bringing a glow on your face. Daily consumption of lemon water can make a huge difference in the appearance of your skin. It acts as an anti-aging remedy and can remove wrinkles and blackheads. Lemon water if applied on the areas of burns can fade the scars. As lemon is a cooling agent, it reduces the burning sensation on the skin.
3 - AIDS IN DENTAL CARE
Lemon water is used in dental care also. If fresh lemon juice is applied on the areas of toothache, it can assist in getting rid of the pain. The massages of lemon juice on gums can stop gum bleeding. It gives relief from bad smell and other problems related to gums.
4 - CURES THROAT INFECTIONS
Lemon is an excellent fruit that aids in fighting problems related to throat infections, sore throat and tonsillitis as it has an antibacterial property. For sore throat, dilute one-half lemon juice with one-half water and gargle frequently.
5 - GOOD FOR WEIGHT LOSS
One of the major health benefits of drinking lemon water is that it paves way for losing weight faster, thus acting as a great weight loss remedy. If a person takes lemon juice mixed with lukewarm water and honey, it can reduce the body weight as well.
6 - CONTROLS HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
Lemon water works wonders for people having heart problem, owing to its high potassium content. It controls high blood pressure, dizziness, nausea as well as provides relaxation to mind and body. It also reduces mental stress and depression.
7 - ASSIST IN CURING RESPIRATORY DISORDERS
Lemon water assists in curing respiratory problems, along with breathing problems and revives a person suffering from asthma.
8 - GOOD FOR TREATING RHEUMATISM
Lemon is also diuretic and hence lemon water can treat rheumatism and arthritis. It helps to flush out bacteria and toxins out of the body.
9 - REDUCES FEVER
Lemon water can treat a person who is suffering from cold, flu or fever. It helps to break fever by increasing perspiration.
10 - ACTS AS A BLOOD PURIFIER
The diseases like cholera or malaria can be treated with lemon water as it can act as a blood purifier.
LEMON REMEDIES PUBLISHED BY JETHRO KLOSS IN HIS BOOK BACK TO EDEN:
* For sore throat, dilute lemon juice with water and gargle frequently. Dilute one-half lemon juice with one-half water. It is even better to use straight lemon juice.
* A slice of lemon bound over a corn overnight will greatly relieve the pain.
* A slice of lemon bound over a felon (pus formation on a finger joint) will not fail to bring the pus to the surface where it can be easily removed.
* To relieve asthma, take a tablespoon of lemon juice one hour before each meal.
* For liver complaints, the juice of the lemon should be taken in a glass of hot water one hour before breakfast every morning.
* To break up la grippe [flu or influenza], drink a large glass of hot water with the juice of a lemon added while at the same time have the feet in a deep bucket or other vessel of water with mustard added to it. The water should be deep enough to where it comes nearly up to the knees. Keep adding hot water to the patient's tolerance and until the patient begins to perspire freely (about 20-30 minutes). Be sure there is no draft on the person while this is done. The patient should be near a bed so he can get in it easily and avoid any danger of getting chilled. If convenient, a full hot bathtub would be good in place of the foot-bath. The lemon water should be taken every hour until the patient feels that all the symptoms of the cold are gone.
* A teaspoon of lemon juice in half a glass of water relieves heartburn.
* For rheumatism, one or two ounces of lemon juice diluted in water should be taken three times a day: one hour before meals and at bedtime.
* In cases of hemorrhage, lemon juice diluted in water and taken as cold as possible will stop it.
* Scurvy is treated by giving one to two ounces of lemon juice diluted with water every two to four hours.
* In excessive menstruation, the juice of three to four lemons a day will help check it. Best to take the juice of one lemon at a time in a glass of cold water.
HOW MUCH SHOULD I DRINK?
If you are in good health and weigh less than 150 pounds (70 kg), squeeze the juice of one half a lemon (one ounce) into a glass of purified water and drink this mixture twice a day (one whole lemon a day). If you weigh over 150 pounds (70 kg), squeeze the juice out of an entire lemon (two ounces) into a glass of purified water and drink this mixture twice a day (two whole lemons a day.) The lemon juice can be diluted more according to taste.
To help your body get the energy from the food you are eating, drink lemon water regularly. Next to drinking plain purified water, drinking lemon water daily is the most important thing you can do for your health. So, make it a part of your daily routine to drink a glass of warm lemon water in the morning and then open your gateway to enjoy its health benefits.