DEVELOPMENT REPORT OF BZU
July 07 - 13, 2008
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
The university is located at a distance of 10 km from the city centre. The University Campus is spread over 960 acres of land. The University has a fleet of buses and coaches which operate regularly in order to provide transport facilities to students and staff. The University started functioning in 1975 in rented buildings with 8 departments. Presently, University has 36 departments and 5 constituent colleges namely: University Gillani Law College, University College of Agriculture, University College of Engineering and Technology, University College of Textile Engineering and Multan College of Arts. The University is providing the maximum possible residential facilities to the students and staff. Out of its 392 faculty members, 130 hold doctoral degrees and among its 12,000 students, more than half are female.
The Bahauddin Zakariya University is a general University, providing education in both Arts and Science subjects. However, keeping in view the fact that agriculture is the mainstay of this region, (the place and its environs can boast of producing the country's best silver crop - Cotton, and fruit crops - Mangoes, Citrus, and Dates) it was considered expedient to train manpower in the region for solving agricultural problems. Accordingly a College of Agriculture was established in 1989. (The College of Agriculture and its complement, an Engineering College, from an integral part of the University Plan). The College of Engineering & Technology was established in 1994. Department of Commerce was started in 1996. BBA classes were started in the Department of Business Administration in 1996. Bachelor of Computer Science has also been introduced in the Department of Computer Science from 1996. B.Sc. Electrical Engineering class was started in 1997. Information Technology Centre was established in 1999.
Syed Yousaf Raza Gillani is the first Prime Minister of Islamic Republic of Pakistan who visited the B. Z. University, Multan on May 5th , 2008.
The University offers a wide range of programs: M.A. M. Sc., M.B.A, M. Com., M.C.S, M. Phil, and Ph. D. Additionally, in recent years, the University has taken a lead in lead in introducing 4-year Undergraduate programs in Science, Computer Science, Commerce, Business, Pharmacy, Engineering and English Literature and Linguistics. In the year 2007, 4-year BA degree program has also started in Xocial Sciences and Humanities. Various short-time courses and diplomas have become popular with the general public and are offered from time to time.
The main objective of the University is to provide facilities of higher education and research to the population of the southern region of the Punjab, covering the Civil Administrative Divisions of Multan and Dera Ghazi Khan. The University fulfills the triple function of teaching, affiliation and an examining body, and has 156 affiliated institutions which include such old and prestigious institutions as the Government College, Bosan Road, Multan (formerly known as Emerson College), the Government College, Sahiwal and NFC College of technology, Multan,
The University is widely known as an institution of strong performance and high ambition because it has continued to make excellent progress toward its goals. It plays a significant role in developing indigenous human resources through its highly productive achievements, both in science and humanities.
The University through different phases has made tremendous progress, but some recent developments are remarkable. To promote the activities of art and culture, Multan College of Arts was established in 2003. In order to cater to the needs of textile industry which is a major industry of the area, the University College of Textile Engineering was established in 2004. The establishment of the Department of Seraiki, Institute of Bio-Technology and Faculty of Veterinary Sciences are some very new developments. The University has also established tow sub-campuses at Sahiwal and D.G. Khan to provide education facility at the doorsteps of the people as part of the policy of the Government. Steps have been taken to establish the University's linkages with the community and industry. There has been significant enhancement in students' enrollment. To ensure quality in academics and research, Quality Enhancement Cell has been established. A great number of buildings are under construction. These buildings will provide better academic and research facilities to students. The university has implemented semester system in all the departments. Organizing international conferences and seminars has been a routine academic activity for the past some time. A significant number of faculty members have been awarded post-doc research fellowships. These faculty members are leaving abroad this year for their research pursuits and will have a great impact after their return to the University next year.
The Bahauddin Zakariya University is the fastest growing public university and it will continue to play a vital role in the development of the country.
The BZU has presented three five year development plans to the HEC under the Vision 2020. This document identifies goals and objectives, current status of the University as well as the expected future concept of how the University should shape up in the next 5, 10 and 15 years in quantifiable terms. The University is expected to be immensely innovative in fostering world-class research and becoming a vital agent for the regional development.
The future vision for the BZU is to:
• Make the BZU a center of excellence in teaching, research and community service, in engineering, agriculture, textile, emerging sciences and humanities
• Command respect for knowledge-friendly multi-cultural professional and intellectual growth
• Strengthen infrastructure and raise student enrollment to an optimal level
• Develop linkages with industry and foreign universities of international repute
• Act as an effective agent of change
• Develop humanistic outlook
• Make it a vanguard of techno-industrial transformation
• Enable the students to pursue their goals to succeed in the technology driven economy of the 21st century.
• Achieve the highest standards of ethics and conduct in research, teaching, administration and organizational policy and behavior
• Make the university a safer, rewarding, environment friendly workplace in which all staff is encouraged to enhance their skills, develop future prospects and realize their full potentials,
The University consists of the following Faculties, Teaching Departments, Institutes, Centers and Constituent College.
I. FACULTY OF ARTS & SOCIAL SCIENCES
- Department of Economics
- Department of Education
- Department of History
- Department of Pakistan Studies
- Department of Political Science & International Affairs
- Department of Mass Communication
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Applied Psychology
- Department of Philosophy
II. FACULTY OF SCIENCE & AGRICULTURE
- Institute of Pure and Applied Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Centre for Advanced Studies in Pure and Applied Mathematics
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Physics
- Institute of Biotechnology
- Department of Statistics
- University College of Agriculture
- Department of Agri. Engineering
- Centre for undergraduate Studies
III. FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCES
IV. FACULTY OF ISLAMIC STUDIES AND LANGUAGES
- Department of Arabic
- Department of Islamic Studies
- Department of English
- Department of Urdu
- Department of Seraiki
V. FACULTY OF COMMERCE, LAW AND BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
- Law & Business Administration
- Institute of Management Sciences
- Department of Business Administration
- (Sub Campus D. G. Khan)
- Department of business Administration
- (Sub Campus Sahiwal)
- Multan College of Arts
- Department of Commerce
- University Gillani Law College
VI. FACULTY OF PHARMACY
- Department of Pharmacy
VII. FACULTY OF ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Architectural Engineering
- University College of Textile Engineering
DIRECTORATE STUDENT AFFAIRS
The Directorate of student Affairs is established to provide different services to the students and to assist their co-curricular activities. The Directorate encourages and endorses extra-curricular activities among students. It also provides them different platforms for the development of their literary and artistic potentialities. The purpose of all such activities is to provide students a conducive environment during their academic years in the university.
PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICE
- To bridge the gap between the University in Public and General to enhance the university print and electronic media linkages
- Communicate issues to the relevant expertise in the university
- To advertise all the University Advertisements related to academic and administration through Directorate of Public Relations Government of Punjab
- To develop the press reports & Photographs related to Vice-Chancellor engagements and university issues
- To create Development Report of BZU in the special Supplements of the Newspapers
- PRO Section is also responsible to cover all the actions from the Vice-Chancellor
CAREER DEVELOPMENT CENTRE (CDC )
CDC will work in order to encourage female students towards public services and to make them attain decision making positions. The major objective of the CDC is to facilitate the students in transition to further study and to get employment by providing resources to graduates for making decisions, including training and guidance in career management skills.
STUDENT ADVISOR CENTRE (SAC)
Student Advisory Centre has been established to provide general guidance, counseling and psychotherapy for different psychological problems. The centre also provides to students in their career planning.
RESEARCH HIGHER EDUCATION PROMOTION SOCIETY (RHEPS)
The function of this society is to promote different research activities among the students
LITERARY AND DEBATING SOCIETY
In order to create a conducive environment for literary activities, the society arranges debates, declamation contests, poetic gatherings etc.
A forum for the female students to let them explore their talent and to handle their problems
CULTURAL / DRAMATIC SOCIETY (CDC)
The Purpose of this society is to create an entertaining and healthy diversion at the campus by organizing concerts, drama festivals, skit competitions, picnics and trips.
FOREIGN STUDENT CLUB (FDC)
The purpose of this club is to facilitate the foreign students in interacting with local customs and values.
BLOOD DONOR SOCIETY (BDS)
This society keeps the record of the blood donor students. The society also has collaborations with blood donor agencies like the Fatmid Foundation etc.
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION CLUB / GREEN UNIVERSITY PROJECT
To create awareness about the environment protection of the region. It arranges for environment friendly activities such as tree plantation etc.
The society promotes research activities in different disciplines of science.
This club promotes and regulates sports and games at the campus.
The academy will promote Islamic Education and will work as a forum to preach Islam.
The following steps have been taken in the context of academic development:
- Quality Enhancement Cell has been established. Certificate for ISO 9000-2000 for IMS, Commerce, Computer Science & Textile College is underway.
- New admissions for the Academic Year 2006-07 have been completed successfully.
- Centralization and computerization of Examinations under semester system.
- Uniform Academic Calendar has been implemented
- Started Classes of
> M.Sc. Psychology at Sub-Campus Sahiwal
> MCS at Sub-Campus D.G. Khan
> DVM in Faculty of Veterinary Sciences at main campus
> Bio-technology at main campus
> M. A. Seraiki at main campus
> 5 Year Law at main campus
- In the year 2007. we have planned to introduce the following programs:
> 4 Year B.A. Degree Program in Social Sciences & Humanities
> M.A. in Gender Studies
> M.A. & Ph.D Programs in South Asian Studies
> B.S. and M.S. in Food Sciences
> B.S. and M.S. in Telecommunication
Research Papers Published in last 3 years:
• Total No. of International Papers:
• Total No. of National Papers:
• No of Research Journals:
> Got approved an amount of Rs. 13.910 million for 3 split Ph.Ds, Joint Research and Faculty Visits under the Linkage Program with La Trobe University, Australia.
> Rs. 5.470 Million have been received during Nov. 06 for the Linkage Program.
Bahauddin Zakariya University is ranked 5th amongst general universities according to the HEC ranking.
- University ranked 1st among the Universities established since 1975.
HEC NEW PROJECTS (Rs. in Million)
NAMES OF THE PROJECTS
Strengthening of University College of Textile Engineering
Faculty of Veterinary Sciences
PROGRESS OF NEW PROJECTS
• Master plan, detailed drawings of the D. G. Khan Sub Campus have been finalized and are ready for tenders.
• Scheme for Seraiki Department has been started. Rs. 4.381 Million (88% of released amount utilized)
• Recruitments under the scheme of mass Communication is going to be finalized very soon.
• Projects of the Sub-Campus sahiwal & Textile Engineering are going to be cleared in the next CDWP in February, 2007.
NAME OF THE PROJECT
College of Fine Arts
Master Plan, Drawings, Designs Finalized Work allotted to the contractor.
Al-Flah Institute of
Preliminary drawing, designs and estimates completed.
Banking & Finance
Tenders in process.
Preliminary drawing, designs and estimates completed. Work in progress.
Strengthening of Labs. of
Preliminary drawing, designs and estimates completed.
Tenders in process.
OWN RESOURCES PROJECTS (Rs. in Million)
NAME OF THE PROJECT
Department of English
Undergraduate Studies Building
University Main Gate
Boys Hostel Usman Hall (Phase-II)
Economic & Commerce Block
Residences Cat I, II, III, IV
Expansion of Vice-Chancellor's Office