UNIVERSITY OF SINDH
Annual report for the year 2005-2006
July 24 - 30, 2006
INSTITUTE OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
A) BRIEF HISTORY OF THE INSTITUTE/DEPARTMENT.
The Institute of Business Administration, (IBA) University of Sindh, (formerly known as Institute of Business Studies IBS) is the second oldest Business School in Pakistan and was established in 1979 under the dynamic leadership of (Late) Professor Nabi Bakhsh Daudpota.
The Institute was renamed from IBS to IBA in 1999.
1. Professionally qualified and experienced faculty.
2. Well equipped Computer Lab: and Seminar Library.
3. Internet for students and faculty.
B) FACULTY STRENGTH.
Cadre-wise number only:
Associate Professor BPS-19
Assistant Professor BPS-18
Any addition/status change during the year "Five Research Associates upgraded to the position of Lecturers" Faculty development program (enrolled on M.Phil/Ph.D. research)
"Three faculty members of this Institute are registered in MS and Ph.D. programs of studies in different Universities, two within the country and one abroad in Japan.
Prof. Ferozuddin Kazi BPS-20
C) DEGREE PROGRAM(S) OFFERED
The Institute offers following morning and evening programs of studies:
1. Three year (six semesters) Bachelor Degree BBA(Hons) program and one year (two semesters) Masters in Business Administration.
2. MBA direct degree program two-year (four semesters) Master Degree.
3. Two-year (six semesters) MBA evening program specially designed for in-service personnel and others striving to improve career opportunities.
Our graduates of Business Administration are well rewarded. They are now employed in senior positions in the fields of Management, Marketing, Accounting, Finance, Insurance and Information Technology etc., at middle and top levels of Management in various government, semi-government, private, local and foreign multinational organizations within the country and out land.
About 2000 students are enrolled in various classes from BBA(Hons) Part-I to MBA(Final) and MBA(Evening).
E) RESEARCH STUDIES
1. M.Phil/Ph.D research enrolment, topics on which research is in progress.
"N I L"
2. Research on projects/undertaken by the faculty/non-degree, identifying source of funding.
"N I L "
F) SEMINAR/CONFERENCES ETC., AND PAPERS PRESENTED BY THE FACULTY:
a. Conducted/organized by the Institute/Department.
I. Prof. Dr. Khawaja Amjad Saeed, Principal, Hailey College of Banking and Finance, Constituent College of University of the Punjab, Lahore spoke and delivered a comprehensive lecture on "Pakistan's Imports and Export Position" for students of MBA(Evening) program of studies on Tuesday 22nd November 2005 at IBA. Honorable Vice-Chancellor, University of Sindh, Jamshoro was the Chief Guest on the occasion the faculty and students attended the lecture and benefited.
II. Mr. Najam Ali, Chief Executive Officer, ABAMCO Limited, Karachi spoke and delivered a comprehensive lecture on "Development of New products in the mutual fund industry, learning from Regional and International Markets" for students of MBA(Morning) program of studies on Tuesday 28th February 2006 at IBA.
Honorable Vice-Chancellor, University of Sindh, Jamshoro was the Chief Guest on the occasion the faculty and students attended the lecture and benefited.
III. Mr. Shunaid Qureshi, Managing Director, Al-Abbas Industries Limited, Karachi Spoke and delivered an extension lecture on "SUGAR" for students of MBA(Evening) program of studies as guest speaker at IBA on 2nd May, 2006.
Dr. Asadullah Kazi, Vice-Chancellor, ISRA University, Hyderabad was the Chief Guest on the occasion the faculty and students attended the lecture and benefited.
b. Held in other universities/organizations and attended.
"Dr. Nizamuddin Channa attended two International Conferences on August September 2005 during his stay in China for doing Ph.D "
G) RESEARCH PAPERS PUBLISHED DURING THE YEAR.
a. by the faculty, in Academic/professional Research Journals, Reference be complete indicating: Authorship, title of articles, Name of the journal, pagination and year of publication.
(Please list the publication of each faculty separately and use additional sheets).
Name of Author
Title of Paper
Name of International Conference
Name of Place/ Host Country
Dr. Nizamuddin Channa
A CAN based P2P infrastructure for semantic web services
25th ASME international design engineering technical conference & information in
September 24-28 2005
Dr. Nizamuddin Channa
Product knowledge reasoning; a DL- based approach
7th international conference on electronic commerce
b. By the Institute/Department as graduate level book (s)/research monograph (s).
"N I L"
H) ANY PATENT OBTAINED? IF YES SOLO/JOINT? GIVE DETAILS.
"N I L"
i) Any other significant matter in relation to improvement of quality. E.G. Revision of syllabi; additional labs./Library facilities etc. (specify).
"The IBA has thoroughly revised and updated its curricula for BBA four years program received from Higher Education Commission, Islamabad, Government of Pakistan effective from 2007".
i) Co-curricular activities
Debate, Quiz competition, declamation contests etc., organized/participated.
1. Three students from IBA namely Mr. Kazim Ali Shah, BBA(Hons) Part-III, Mr. Abdul Wahid Shaikh BBA(Hons) Part-III and Ms. Paras Abro represented Sindh University under (students exchange program) to "various Universities of country" and visited Lahore University of Education, Punjab University, Alama Iqbal University, Quid-e-Azam University and Arid Agricultural University Rawalpindi (Dated September 14 to September 23, 2005).
2. Mr. Syed Kazim Ali Shah student of MBA was selected as President and Mr. Abdul Wahid Shaikh Senior Vice-President of Sindh University Debating Society (SUDS) (Dated 4th of February 2006).
3. Two students (Mr. Kazim Ali Shah and Mr. Abdul Wahid Shaikh represented Sindh University in Provincial Students Convention (Dated 4th-7th April 2006).
4. Mr. Kazim Ali Shah participated in National Students Convention (Dated 21 St - 23rd of April, 2006).
(a) Organized by the Institute/Department event.
"Ms. Sumera Shaikh and Ms. Paras Bhatti students of MBA(Final) participated in GALA Sindh Universities Badminton Championship from 28th February 2006 to 2nd March 2006 organized by University of Sindh, Jamshoro".
(b) Participation; event, any award/prize won.
Ms. Sumera Shaikh and Ms. Paras Bhatti the female students of IBA Secured 2nd position in above event.
1) Honours/distinctions earned by the institute/ department/faculty/students.
(a) Mr. Nizamuddin Channa, Lecturer of this Institute have joined his duties at IBA on the successful completion of Ph.D. in Computer Science and Technology from China."
(b) Mr. Syed Karim Bux Shah, Lecturer of this Institute has successfully completed (NTS) Graduate Assessment Test (GAT-GENERAL) in First attempt with a score of 66 out of 100.
1. Mr. Nadeem Ahmed Thaheem and Miss. Baby Sanam Khoso students of this Institute completed eight- weeks Internship Training program of State Bank of Pakistan for the year 2005 were ranked in Grade- A. out of 51 candidates mixture of regional diversity of various disciplines. They obtained 95 and 90 marks respectively.
A letter of appreciation was forwarded in this regard, addressed to honorable Mazharul Haq Siddiqui, Vice-Chancellor, University of Sindh, Jamshoro by Mr. Muhammad Mazharul Haq, Joint Director, State Bank of Pakistan.
2. Mr. Syed Muhammad Sheeram Shah S/o Sher Muhammad Shah Student of BBA(Hons) Part-I obtained 307 marks out of 400 in Pre-Entry test and stood first.
3. Mr. Dildar Ali S/o Haji Muhammad Ismail Abro Student of BBA(Hons) Part-I Obtained 289 marks out of 400 in Pre-Entry test and stood fourth position.
4. Mr. Kazim Ali Shah secured 2nd position in Interdepartmental English Debate competition (Dated 15th of February 2006).
5. Mr. Abdul Wahid Shaikh secured 1 St position in Interdepartmental Urdu Debate Competition (Dated 19th of February 2006).