THE PROSPECTS FOR KINO EXPORTS

 

The top export proceeds earner of all other fruits


By SYED M. ASLAM
Dec 15 - 21, 2003


Last year the signature Pakistani citrus fruit Kino found its way into the markets of exactly 50 countries around the world earning export proceed of $ 21.7 million for the country. It was, and has been, the top contributor to fruits and vegetables exports all along except in the fiscal year 2000-01 when the value of mango exports totaling $17.005 million surpassed it by $ 695 million. In 2002-03, Kino contributed over 25 per cent to the overall exports of fruits, both fresh and dried, totaling $ 83.155 million while its share in the fresh fruit exports was much bigger 50 per cent excluding dried dates ($ 23.449 million) and dried fruits ($ 8.766 million).

Kino, thus, is the top export proceeds earner of all other fruits, both fresh and dried, as well as vegetables the cumulative value of which added up to $ 109.65 million in 2002-03. The great export performance of the fruit has made the relevant authorities take notice of its potential explaining the reason for the Export Promotion Bureau of the federal government to hold Kino exhibitions in a number of countries last year in Europe and Far East including Poland, Germany, Romania, Singapore, etc.

As obvious from the chart attached herewith, Far Eastern has become the biggest destination of Kino while Dubai still remains the second top market. The fruit has also being finding its way increasingly into the European markets The Netherlands being the top 10 and the UK the 12th largest market in the last fiscal. Exporters say that the country would have a bumper kino crop this year and expect that it would help push the exports, both in terms of quantity and value, to new level once full-fledged exports starts next month to upscale markets of Far East and Europe.

The chairman of Karachi-based Fruits, Vegetables Processors and Exporters Association Mateen Siddiqui, however, expressed concerns at the export of unripe and premature fruits to Dubai, the top market in term of quantity and a close second in term of value last year, has flattened it out even before the start of full-scale exports. "The early exports to Dubai comprised mainly green fruit the taste of which was more bitter than sweet and that's why the Dubai market seems flattened out at present."

Asked if the bumper harvest would help push the exports this season, Mateen replied in negative saying "the gain in weight would come at the cost of fruit size. Though average yield from a kino tree is expected to increase substantially by as much as 75 per cent due to various climatic reasons, the size of the fruit would be smaller this year. As size plays an important role to determine the price of the fruit, the bigger the sweeter and thus the more pricey, it is expected that the export earnings from the fruit would remain at par with last year despite an in-proportional increase in quantity."

Asked to elaborate further he said that usually 75 per cent of the total kino harvest comprised big-size fruits while the small size made up the remaining 25 per cent of the crop. If the standing crop is any indication, this season the trend, however, is expected to be reversed this year meaning that 75 per cent of it would comprise small size fruit while only 25 per cent would be made up of big fruit size. Thus, despite a record crop the export performance of kino is expected to remain the same as last year due primary the small size of the fruit."

So the export price of the fruit would remain more or less the same as last year fluctuating between C&F price of $ 3.50-4.00 for a 10 kilogram paper carton. The fact that the unit export price of the fruit last year touched record high last year, see Table 1, could be a great consolation for the exporters amidst the forecast of a record but a bulk of small fruit size harvest this season.

It also means that the kino would keep on performing the tremendous job to continue contributing a significant share to overall fruits exports.

 

Table 1
Last five-year export performance
Value in million dollar, Quantity in tons

Year

Quantity

Value

Unit Price ($/kilo)

1998-99

51.269

9.059

0.176

1999-00

82.750

13.916

0.168

2000-01

97.028

16.310

0.168

2001-02

121.692

20.842

0.171

2002-03 94.806 21.704 0.228

Source: Export Promotion Bureau

 


 

Table 2
Top ten markets in 2002-03 (Quantity in tons, value in million $)

Country

Quantity

Value

Indonesia

22,161.934

5.59

Dubai

23,172.012

5.48

Afghanistan

14,710

1.975

Sri Lanka

6,898.154

1.630

Philippines

6,695.243

1.626

Saudi Arabia

5,751.644

1.36

Singapore

4,424.615

1.116

Malaysia

1,918.831

0.508

Netherlands

1,668.668

0.454

Bahrain 1,165.802 0.888

Source: Export Promotion Bureau