INTERVIEW WITH EBRAHIM HASHIM
Apr 16 - 22, 2012
PAGE approached Mr. Ebrahim Hashim for interview on corporate social responsibility. While talking to PAGE, he explained the following CSR steps taken by Mehran Group of Industries.
EDUCATION AND WE:
We are actively participating for the reforms of the countrymen and we strongly believe that "education is the only way to prosperity". To promote the education we have been engaged in following activities:
DAWOOD MEMORIAL SCHOOL, MSM COLONY, TANDO ALLAHYAR
* Established in year: 13-December-1998
* Total Male Students in DMS: 363
* Total Female Students in DMS: 193
* Total Students Enrolled in DMS: 556
* Classes in DMS: From Nursery to Tenth
* Total Scholarships awarded: 58 students
* Scholarship Amount: Rs8930 per month for 58 Students
MSM HAS GOVERNMENT PRIMARY SCHOOL IN MSM COLONY.
* Established in year: 1974
* Total Rooms: 2 Rooms
* Male Student (Morning): 107
* Female Students (Evening): 40
* Male Teachers (Morning): 6
* Female Teacher (Evening): 2
VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTRE IS WORKING IN MSM COLONY.
* Training of sewing and embroidery is given to female students.
* Sector offices of Cane Department are educating peoples of District Tando Allahyar and vicinity areas regarding the new research and technologies in the field of agriculture related to sugarcane crop.
* Currently, MSM has 19 sector offices that are imparting education.
* Mr. David Chamberlin, a UK-Based Agriculture Expert, is hired for Agri expertise and awareness regarding the PEST Control. The visit was focused to identify the existing Cane Varieties in Tando Allahyar in particular and in Sindh general. In addition to the inspection of existing varieties, they introduced new cane varieties in the area in association with Mehran Sugar Mills Limited, Tando Allahyar.
* A school has been constructed and donated to The City Foundation (TCF) at Pyaro Lund with total expenses of Rs11 million.
* Agricultures, educational and managerial seminars organized by MSM for the awareness of the growers/employees. These seminars are addressed by specialists of their fields including Sindh Agriculture University, Tando Allahyar and Agricultural University Faisalabad, Mehran University of Engineering and Technology (MUET) Jamshoro and University of Karachi.
* Adult Literacy Centre is functional in DMS and currently 25 female students are enrolled. All students are given Rs250 as stipend per month.
* An adult literacy centre will be opened in "Village Bahar Mirjat" in Taluka Jhando Marri, District Tando Allahyar. (In Pipeline)
* In this ALC, 20 female students will be educated to read and write their names and know the numeration.
* Targeting of 10 ALCs in District Tando Allahyar, educating more or less 200 female students. (In Pipeline)
Mehran Group of Industries: Education and Literacy Status & Plan
GLIMPSE AT DISTRICT TANDO ALLAHYAR1
SR NO TALUKA / TOWN UNION COUNCILS NO. OF DEHS POPULATION POPULATION MALE FEMALE 1 Tando Allahyar 8 30 280,182 145,695 134,487 2 Chambar 5 29 170,226 88,518 81,709 3 Jhando Mari 6 37 184,592 95,988 88,604 Grand Total 19 96 635,000 330,200 304,800
SR NO TALUKA / TOWN LITERACY (POPULATION) LITERACY RATIO MALE FEMALE MALE FEMALE 1 Tando Allahyar 84,503 45,726 58% 34% 2 Chambar 45,144 23,695 51% 29% 3 Jhando Mari 46,074 22,151 48% 25% Grand Total 175,721 91,572 52% 29%
SR NO TALUKA / TOWN URBAN/RURAL POPULATION URBAN/RURAL PERCENTAGE URBAN RURAL URBAN RURAL 1 Tando Allahyar 100,000 180,182 36% 64% 2 Chambar 0 170,226 0% 100% 3 Jhando Mari 0 184,592 0% 100% Grand Total 100,000 535,000 12% 88% .
REFORMS FOR IMPROVING WOMEN EDUCATION IN DISTRICT TANDO ALLAHYAR
Tando Allahyar District has 19 union councils and 96 revenue villages (Dehs) in total. It consists of three Talukas viz. Tando Allahyar, Chambar and Jhando Mari. District Tando Allahyar has a population of 635,000.
For the improvement of women education, that is currently 29 per cent, following steps should be taken.
ACTION STATUS REMARKS 1 Collaboration with INGO/NGO (e.g. United Nations, RDF, NRSP, HandiCap International, DevCon, Muslim Hands, WWF) on Macro-Level for improvement of women education in District Tando Allahyar. Contacts are being established . 2 Defining the role MSM can play in improving the education . MSM can assist the activities in terms of finance and human resources. 3 Identification of learning center and hiring of competent teacher . Will be charted out after finalization of program with INGOs/NGOs. 4 Registration of students and provision of books to the students (Sindhi: Pehriyoon Qaedo) . Expected Admissions: 20 Women Students in One Learning Center 5 Completion of first batch within 6 - months . -do- 6 Repetition of Action # 4 and 5 . -do-
TENTATIVE COST FOR LEARNING CENTER
SR. NO DESCRIPTION OF COST COST/
TOTAL UNITS TOTAL COST REMARKS 1 6-Months Salary of Female Teacher (Min. Qual. : Inter Pass) N.A N.A Rs42000 Rs7,000 Per Month Salary 2 Provision of Books (Pehriyoon Qaedo + Writing Books) 300 20 Rs6000 . 3 Examination Material 20 20 Rs400 . 4 Miscellaneous Expenses (Coordination with Education Department etc.) N.A N.A Rs2000 . Projected Total Cost 50,400 . Note: * Cost of furniture, utilities, and bills is excluded from above cost.
Initially, numeration and Sindhi Alphabet will be taught to the students, so that they can write and read their names and papers and identify numbers.
1. At pilot basis, it is recommended that only one learning centre may be opened as to have experience and working knowledge of the learning center. On acceding your permission, and consultation with INGOs/NGOs (Apperox Time: 10 Days), the decision of opening of learning center will be finalized and communicated to your good self.
2. It is recommended that we should utilize our existing buildings, i.e. DMS, TCF School and in the villages Mosque Schools for Male Adult Literacy and Otaaq as well as NGO/Government Schools for female adult literacy program.
3. Rs500 per head and per month is recommended initially to allure adults for literacy program.
4. Goth Mir Behar Khan MirJat is identified for the tentative purposes as Ex. Nazim and our DCM Haji Sher Mohammad kindly consented his willingness to extend utmost cooperation in this regard.
5. Promoting awareness regarding the women education through pamphlets & banners panaflex, as it is must before the initiation of any program. Estimated budget is 25,000.