Overall CSR functions in the country are great but required further efforts and support
Interview with Mr S. M. Muneer – leader of the business community of Pakistan
- M. Muneer is the Chairman of Din Group of Industries and former CEO Trade Development Authority of Pakistan (TDAP). His company Din Leather (Pvt.) Ltd, is the biggest exporter of leather in Pakistan and he has four textile mills in the name of Din Textile Mills in Lahore.
Position In Companies
Chairman: 1) M/s. Din Leather (Pvt) Ltd:
The leading exporting company of finished leather in Pakistan having most modern tanning unit in Karachi with last year annual turnover of about Pak. Rs.2.5 billion. (US$25 million)
Chairman : 2) M/s. Din Textile Mills Ltd:
One of the leading exporters of different types of valued added yarns, having four most modern spinning units in Lahore (total 79,008 spindles) and exporting following very high quality value added yarns. Total annual turnover is about Rs.10 billion (US$:100 million):
- : – 100% cotton knitting yarn brand NABEEL
- : – 100% cotton Melange Yarn Brand DIN
– 100% cotton Compact Yarn Brand DINCOM4
– Cone Dyed Yarn Brand DIN
- : – Slub Yarn Brand DIN
- : – Core Spun Lycra Yarn Brand KOMFORT
- : – Combed and Gassed Yarn Brand DIN
- : – P/C Melange Yarn Brand DIN
(The above units are equipped with most modern imported machinery and are producing finest quality yarn in different varieties.)
Holding Position In Other Concerns
- Vice Chairman: I) MUSLIM COMMERCIAL BANK LTD (Since 08/04/1991-05/06/1995 and 30/08/2000 – to date
- Member: ii) Board of Governors College of Business Management Karachi (CBM), since 1997 9 (about 4000 students)
- Member: iii) Board of Governors University of Management & Technology (UMT), Lahore since 1996 (about 4300 students)
- Member: iv) Board of governors Greenwich University, Karachi since 30/06/1998 (about 750 students)
- Trustee: v) Fatimid Blood Foundation, Karachi, since 29-05-2000
- Chairman:vi) Board of Governors Din College, Chiniot since 12/01/2004. (about 500 students)
- Member: vii) Board of Governor Institute of Behavioral Sciences (IBS) Karachi since 2003 (hospital)
- Member: viii) Board of Governors Shaukat Khanum Memorial Trust, lahore (SKMT) since 12/12/2004(cancer hospital)
- Member: IX) Appointed as Member Advisory Board of Citizen Police Liaison Committee (CPLC) by the Honourable Governor Sindh since 16/2/2008
- CHAIRMAN: X) CHINIOT ANJUMAN-E-ISLAMIA PAKISTAN Since 20/5/2007
- patron-in-chief: XI) Korangi Association of Trade & Industry karachi since 1996
- president ipcci: XII) elected as president of india-pakistan chamber of commerce & industry (IPCCI) on 12/11/2008 in new delhi (India)
- member: XIII) member iba advisory council since 16/12/2009
- member: XIV) member board of governors of the kidney centre post graduate training institute since 20/10/2011
- Member: XV) Board Of Governors Nazeer Husain University Karachi, since 8th Sept, 2011
- member: xvI) Nominated as Member of Pakistan-India Joint business Forum (PIJBF) by Ministry of Commerce, Government of Pakistan on 13th March, 2013. (The aim and objective of this forum are to promote business and bilateral relations between Pakistan and India. This forum is constituted with prominent businessmen from each country)
- chairman: XVII) muneer husain foundation since 21-10-2013 (for the improvement of cricket in Pakistan)
- chief executive officer: xviii) appointed as chief executive officer of trade development authority of pakistan (tdap) by the prime minister of pakistan mian muhammad nawaz sharif vide notification no. I/60/2008-E-6 dated 2th march, 2014
- justice of peace: xix) appointed justice of peace karachi division on 11-3-2014 by government of sindh.
Trophies And Awards
- DIN LEATHER (PVT) LTD received various Best Export Performance Trophies from the Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce & Industry for highest exports.
- DIN LEATHER (PVT) LTD have also been awarded the best award “GOLD MEDALLION AWARD” in recognition to its exports achievements by The International Export Association, UK.
- S. M. Muneer (Chairman) has been awarded the “BEST BUSINESS MAN OF THE YEAR AWARD” by the Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FPCCI) which is the highest award given by FPCCI (in presence of General Zia-ul-Haq, the then President of Pakistan).
- DIN TEXTILE MILLS LTD has been awarded twice “The Top 25 Companies Award” by the Karachi Stock Exchange.
- a) In 2000 an award was given by the then Prime Minister of Pakistan Shaukat Aziz
- b) In 2001 an award was given by the then Prime Minister of Pakistan Mir Zafarullah Jamali
- President of Pakistan General Pervez Musharraf has conferred “SITARA-I-ISAAR” Award to S. M. Muneer (Chairman) on 30-06-2006 in recognition of his outstanding services for the cause of humanity.
- President of Pakistan General Pervez Musharraf has conferred biggest award of “SITARA-I-IMTIAZ” to S. M. Muneer (Chairman) on 14-08-2007 in recognition of his outstanding public services for the cause of humanity. This award was given in a special ceremony by the Governor of Sindh Dr. Ishrat-ul-Ebad Khan on 23-03-2008 at Governor House, Karachi.
- After approval by the Governor of Sindh, Institute of Business & Technology (BIZTEC) has conferred Honorary PHD degree of Doctorate of Philosophy at its convocation held on 30th May, 2008 at Hotel Marriott in Karachi.
- Second time again after approval by the Governor of Sindh, Indus Institute of Higher Education has conferred Degree of Doctorate of Philosophy at its convocation held on 19th January, 2009.
- S. M. Muneer was awarded Life Time Achievement Award on 29-01-2012 in the City of Markham (Canada) by the Mayor Mr. Frank Scarpitti in the presence of members of parliament, advisor to Prime Minister and Pakistani Community. The award was given for his services to act as the bridge between Canada and Pakistan in promoting business and friendship.
- S. M. Muneer was awarded “Life Time Achievement Award” by the President of Pakistan, Mr. Asif Ali Zardari, in the President House on 27-08-2012.
- Mr. S. M. Muneer was awarded FPCCI 1ST Gold Medal Achievement Award’ for the year 2012 by Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan on 22nd June, 2013.
- Din Textile Mills Ltd have been awarded TOP 25 KARACHI STOCK EXCHANGE COMPANIES AWARD. This award is presented to Mr. S. M. Muneer (Chairman) Din Group of Industries on 26-03-2015 by Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif, former Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- S. M. Muneer has also been awarded “LIFE TIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD” by Federal Minister for Planning Development & Reform, Professor Ahsan Iqbal on April 05, 2015 at Marriot Hotel Karachi.
- Travelled abroad extensively in the last 46 years to various countries for the promotion of export orders for more than 450 times.
- Visited following countries as the Leader of Pakistan’s’ Official Trade Delegation of Government of Pakistan.
- INDIA 1982
- NEW ZEALAND & FIJI ISLAND 1984
- JAPAN/KOREA 1985
- TURKEY 1991
- Visited Turkey and Iraq as the Member of Govt. Official Delegation led by the Prime Minister of Pakistan Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto in1989.
- Visited Turkey as Member of Govt. Official Delegation with Senator Sartaj Aziz Federal Finance Minister in 1991
- Visited Muscat , as the Member of Govt. Official Delegation led by the Prime Minister of Pakistan Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto and signed “Cooperation Agreement” between FPCCI and Oman Chamber in 1994
- Visited Germany as President F.P.C.C.I. with official delegation led by Prime Minister of Pakistan Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto and signed “Cooperation Agreement” between F.P.C.C.I. & DIHT (German Federation) from April 18th to 20th April 1994.
- Visited Turkministan with Prime Minister Muhtarma Benazir Bhutto from 25th to 28th October, 1994.
- Visited Japan with Prime Minister Muhtarma Benazir Bhutto from 16th to 21st January, 1996.
- Visited Indonesia and Brunei with Prime Minister Muhtarma Benazir Bhutto from 5-10 March,1996.
- Visited Bahrain &Syria with Prime Minister Muhtarma Benazir Bhutto from 22-25 April,1996.
- Visited Korea with Prime Minister Muhtarma Benazir Bhutto from 21st July to 24th July 1996.
- Visited with Mr. Shaukat Aziz, Prime Minister of Pakistan as the member of official delegation to the following countries.
21-24 November, 2004. Sri Lanka, Maldiveand India.
31st May, 2005 Lebanan
31st May to 3rd June, 2005 Turkey
8th to 11th August, 2005 Japan
11th to 13th August, 2005 Hong Kong.
28th Sep. to 3rd Oct. 2005 Korea & Malaysia
- Visited Turkey with Chief Minister Punjab, MianShahbaz Sharif from 12th Jan to 16th January, 2010.
- Visited India with Pakistan official delegation head by Mr, Mukhdoom Amin Fahim, Federal Commerce Minister from 26/9/2011 to 1/10/2011.
Positions Held In The Past
- Chairman of All Pakistan Tanners Association (Central Zone ) in the following years:
- 1969-70, 1981-82, 1982-83, 1983-84, 1984-85, 1985-86 and 1993-94.(seven times). Organized “Pakistan Leather Show” since 1979.
- Member of Federal Parliament (Government of Pakistan) in 1984-85. (Majlis-e-Shura)
- Vice Chairman/Senior Vice Chairman of S.I.T.E. Association of Industry, Karachi, for Two years which is one of the biggest Industrial Association of Pakistan in 1985-86.
- Chairman of Export Promotion Committee for Leather and Leather Garments from 1981 to 1986.
- Senior Vice President of Faran Club (International) 1986-87
- President of Faran Club (International) 1987-88.
- Trustee in Karachi Port Trust for 1986-87.
- Vice Chairman of Karachi Port Trust for 1987-88 & remained acting Chairman many times.
- Chairman , Korangi Association of Trade & Industry which is the biggest Industrial Association of Pakistan for 1988-89 & 1990-91. (Two times).
- Member of Managing Committee of Karachi Chamber of Commerce & Industry in 1985-1987 & 1990-91. (Two times).
- Member of Managing Committee of Federation of Pakistan Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Karachi, 1988-1990.
- Vice President of The Federation of Pakistan Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Karachi, for 1990-91 and was Acting President, many times during 1990-91.
- President , Karachi Gymkhana Club for the year 1991-92.
- Vice Chairman of Muslim Commercial Bank Limited during since 08-04-1991 to 04-06-1995.
- President , Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce& Industry during Jan-94 to Mar-1996.
- Federal Minister of State & Chairman Pakistan Trade Fair Corporation in 1997.
- Appointed Minister of State and Chairman Pakistan Trade Fair Corporation as technocrate (as he is not a member of any political party). Not taken any benefit that is any salary, car, petrol, driver or any travelling charges and everything was paid personally and have given the services to the business community completely free with pleasure without any burden of any sort on national exchequer.
- Chairman of Muslim Commercial bank Ltd. from 05-06-1995 to 27-06-1997.
- Vice President of Pakistan Red Crescent Society (Sindh Provincial Branch) from 23-07-1998 till 09-10-2002.
- Director Investment Corporation of Pakistan from 12/3/1997 till 21/03/2001.
- Director State Cement Corporation of Pakistan from 27/10/2003 to 13/04/2004.
- Chairman of Aiwan-e-Tijarat-o-Sanat Hospital Trust, Karachi. 1997-1998.
- Director, Corporate & Industrial Restucturing Corporation (CIRC) Govt. of Pakistan Since 06-01-2001 till 22/09/2006 ( Mr.Shaukat Aziz, Prime Minister of Pakistan was the Chairman, of this CIRC.).
- XXIII.Vice Chairman ChiniotAnjuman-e-Islamia from 24/01/2001 till 19/05/2007.
- XXIV.Director National Industrial Parks Development and Management Company (NIP) from 18/4/2006 till 8/4/2008.
- XXV.Director Pakistan Textile City (Pvt) Ltd. Karachi from 10/11/2004 till 15/09/2008.
- XXVI.Member Board of Governors Police Hospital Karachi & Hyderabad from 13/3/2006 till 29/1/2009.
- XXVII Pak-Canada Business Council of FPCCI for 2009/2010 & 2012/2014.
- An Active Member and Chairman of ChiniotAnjuman-e-Islamia, a social welfare society running many dispensaries, maternity homes, schools and hospitals in Karachi, Faisalabad and Chiniot. Recently the Trust has completed a big hospital of about 150 beds in Korangi Area.
- Convenor, Quaid Foundation (Mohammad Ali Jinnah, To spread Quaids’ message)
- Founder Life Member of Pakistan Hypertension League Karachi.
- Member of World hypertension League.
- Member Board of Governors “Professional Education Foundation” since 14/04/2010, (PEF) is a registered trust giving scholarships to brilliant students whose parents cannot finance the expenses of their education, currently 700 students on role and studying leading universities of Pakistan with a targeted increase of 150-200 students every year.
- Recently constructed a very modern girls College in the name of “Din College” in Chiniot and the college is working under the auspices of Chiniot Anjuman Islamia. This College was inaugurated in September, 2004 by Governor of Punjab Lt. Gen. (retired) Khalid Maqbool.
- Din Group through its Chairman S. M. Muneer donated Rupees One Crores in the President Relief Fund after earth quake on 8th Oct.,2006 and also donated Rs.One Crore for Flood Relief in 2010.
- Director of “Make-A-Wish Foundation International – USA since 18th Sept., 2008.
- Patron-In-Chief “Friends of Burns Centre” Civil Hospital Karachi since 8/10/2004.
- Trustee of “The Legend Trust” under chairmanship of Governor of Sindh since 7/11/2006 (the job of this Trust is to help the renowned artists for their grievances.
- Founder Member of “Trust for Vaccines & Immunization” (TVI) since Dec., 2009.
- Member : Karachi Gymkhana Club Since 10/08/1972
- Member : Karachi Club Since 14/04/1992
- Member : Karachi Golf Club Since 24/12/1987
- Member : Defence Authority Marina Club, Karachi Since 25/08/1992
- Member : Faran Club International – Karachi Since 19/07/1986
- Member : Bath Island Lions Club, Karachi Since May, 1994
- Member : Muslim Gymkhana Karachi, Since 02-10-1998
- Member / Director : Arabian Sea Country Club, Karachi Since 01/07/1997
- Member : ACACIA Country & Golf Club Since 24/01/2008
- President : Karachi New MJF Lions Club Since 17/10/2006
PAGE: Kindly share with us the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) activities of your organization:
M. Muneer: Our organization is doing lot of corporate social responsibility activities in the country running hospitals, schools, colleges, maternity home, and also supporting different organizations, which are working for the cause of humanity. With our support the needy are treated 100% free of cost. Hospitals in Pakistan are doing a great job, however, there is a lot more to do since the poverty is surging and population is burgeoning in Pakistan. It is imperative to know that the number of doctors and paramedic staff is dwindling in Pakistan since such professionals get lucrative opportunities abroad so they quit Pakistan for the better prospects. Pakistan is a great country and the medical professionals from Pakistan are given substantial value across the world. There is a dire need of more world class hospitals in Pakistan. We know that many of Pakistan’s major hospitals providing crucial medical care to the masses from Lady Reading in Peshawar to Karachi’s Civil Hospital, were constructed during British colonial times and it is our responsibility to offer proper medical care to the downtrodden, in particular.
The business education landscape in Pakistan augurs well since thousands of youngsters are getting quality education. Pakistan needs more doctors, engineers, accountants, entrepreneurs etc. We need to increase our education budget so that better schools, colleges and universities could be established for our future generations. There are hundreds of generous Pakistanis who donate millions to ensure that millions of Pakistanis get timely healthcare and better educational opportunities.
PAGE: How could the unemployment issues be tackled in our country?
M. Muneer: Unemployment is the biggest problem in our country today and to sort out this problem our government must give support and incentives to the new industry so that people can get job. There needs to be revolution of entrepreneurship in Pakistan to tackle the long-standing issue of high employment in Pakistan. The industry can accommodate the skilled and unskilled workforce in case the government incentivizes the industry of Pakistan which would eventually lead to the surge in exports as well helping Pakistan rid of twin deficits.
PAGE: How could poverty be eliminated in Pakistan?
M. Muneer: Poverty can only be eliminated by giving jobs and helping the poor. The more the skilled workforce in any country, the less the poverty. Technical education is the answer to eliminate poverty in Pakistan. More and more technical institutes need to be established so that the poor could benefit themselves thus helping their families by earning livelihood.